Tuesday 28 April 2015

Connecting Essay 5

Reference Image


In the reference image above I thought the dripping blood was very provocative. This image could be horror related but equally could be from a medical manual. I like the composition as this adds emphasis to the hand and also leaves room for any message. I notice that lots of images crop like this especially in photo libraries so designers can add messages. 



My Image



In my own photograph I wanted to show the cut in the vein and the amount of blood that would result in a cut like this. I added lots of contrast and saturation to the fake blood until the got what i felt was as close as possible to real blood. This image actually had someone poring blood over the hand just above the cut. I retouched this out in Photoshop. I asked the model to make here hands as limp as possible but still show her nails. 
The model had blood red fingernails to add to the drama and colour co-ordination of the shot.  




The Connection




Both images show blood on hands. I took my inspiration from the reference shot but wanted to take it further and push the boundaries to the edge of believability. The red nails are believable but add a lot to the overall feel. The amount of blood is believable - Just. The fake cut in the wrist (done in photoshop) after the shoot could be real. Overall I think my shot is better than the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment